I just got back into weightlifting last month and one of my initial struggles was I absolutely dreaded taking my protein shake. It tasted like, for lack of a better word, vomit.
After a bit of trial and error, I’ve concocted a recipe that actually makes it delicious, and I am sharing this with you today!
Note that the whey protein powder that I used for this recipe is the Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate, Chocolate flavor. It is quite a huge tub and I am barely halfway through finishing it. 🙂 You can use any brand of protein powder as long as it’s Chocolate or Vanilla flavor. It might work for Strawberry flavor to give it a Neopolitan-ish flare, but don’t take my word for it!
Dark Chocolate Protein Shake
- 200 ml non-fat milk
- 1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla or chocolate flavor
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 pcs ice cubes
- Pour all ingredients into a blender.
- If your powder is vanilla flavored, you will get more of a milk chocolate flavor. Feel free to add more cocoa powder to achieve a dark chocolate taste.
- The honey is purely optional. If you want some sweetness in your shake, just add a dash of honey into the mixture. Don’t go overboard!
- Blend well and pour into a glass.
I’ve heard from some friends who love adding bananas or peanut butter to their shakes. I think I’ll try that too.
Any interesting way you prepare your shakes? Please share by leaving a comment below!
I throw in frozen fruit, frozen spinach, and oats. It’s a proper meal and tastes delicious!
That’s interesting! I’ll definitely give that a try 🙂